The Women in Science (WiSci, for short!) Girls’ STEAM Camps are a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for high school girls from around the world to dive into the STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts & Design, Mathematics) subjects alongside their peers and develop their leadership skills, in a unique cross-cultural environment, with all expenses paid.
WiSci Camps are a safe, supportive, and girl-centered environment, bringing together 100 teen girls from three or more countries, to live and learn for two weeks together. Girls are the heart of the WiSci program. WiSci facilitators from Girl Up and our private sector partners teach girls to value taking risks, to bounce back after failing, and to build the reliance to keep trying again.
In 2020, Girl Up will bring WiSci Camps to Ifrane, Morocco, and to Pontianak, Indonesia. Check out the “Apply” section for more details.
While attending a WiSci Camp, girls can expect to:
- Participate in hands-on trainings to develop STEAM and leadership skills: from coding, to creating a microscope with cell phones, to programming drones and artificial intelligence, WiSci campers connect STEAM with creating social impact in their communities;
- Connect into a wide global network, both at camp and after, joining 850 alumni from over 35 U.S. states and over 30 countries;
- Experience on-site mentorship from industry experts and build new friendships with global peers
To date, WiSci Camps have:
- Trained 850+ girls, who have participated from 30 countries around the world. Over 100 final camp projects completed by cross-cultural camper groups, creating innovative STEAM for Social Good solutions;
- Led to 90% of past campers to rate their leadership skills improved as a result of WiSci Camp; and
- For those past campers who are now completing their tertiary (University/College) education, 78% are studying the STEAM subjects!
2020 Sustaining Partners